6 Things to do this summer that will make a positive change.
Unfortunately, we can’t go back in time and start again. But what we ca do is start again today and write a brand new story. Today can be the start of a whole new future… if you choose to make positive changes and work at them.
But before you can move forward, you have to start doing things that actually move your life forward!
Summer is here so what better time to start? This is what I have been doing, with amazing results, maybe you could do the same?
1. Spend your time with the right people. – Free time is precious, spend it with the right people. Give your time to the people you enjoy being with, the people who love and appreciate you, and who encourage you. They are the ones who make you feel more alive, and not only embrace who you are now, but also embrace and embody who you want to be, the care about you unconditionally and expect nothing in return.
2. Be honest with yourself. – Be honest about what’s good, as well as what needs to be changed. Be honest about what you want and the person you want to become. Be honest with every aspect of your life, because you are the one person you can count on. Spend time getting to know yourself, faults and all, accept them and get to know who you truly know who you are. Once you do, you’ll have a better understanding of where you are now and how you got here, and you’ll be better equipped to identify where you want to go and how to get there.
3. Prioritise yourself. – Your needs matter. If you don’t value yourself, look out for yourself, and stick up for yourself, you’re sabotaging yourself. Remember, it IS possible to take care of your own needs while simultaneously caring for those around you. And once your needs are met, you will likely be far more capable of helping those who need you most.
4.Appreciate your wealth. – “Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” (Henry David Thoreau) Even when times are tough, it’s always important to keep things in perspective. You didn’t go to sleep hungry last night, you didn’t go to sleep outside, you had a choice of what clothes to wear this morning. You have access to clean drinking water, you have access to medical care, you have access to the Internet and you can read.
Some might say you are incredibly wealthy; I certainly feel like that. So remember to be grateful for all the things you do have.
5. Start focusing on the positive– The mind is the most powerful tool you have at your disposal. You must believe you CAN do something before you are capable of actually doing it. The way to overcome negative thoughts and destructive emotions is to develop opposing, positive emotions that are stronger and more powerful. You speak to yourself 1000’s of times every day, can you honestly say that this self-talk is positive? Self-talk affects your self-image, self-image affects your self-esteem, so if your self-talk is negative, you will have low self-esteem, make sense?
Listen to your self-talk and replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Regardless of how a situation seems, focus on what you DO WANT to happen, and then take the next positive step forward. No, you can’t control everything that happens to you, but you can control how you react to things. Everyone’s life has positive and negative aspects – whether or not you’re happy and successful in the long run depends greatly on which aspects you focus on.
6. Start believing that you’re ready for the next step. – You are ready! Think about it. You have everything you need right now to take the next small, realistic step forward. So embrace the opportunities that come your way, and accept the challenges – they’re gifts that will help you to grow.