Week 1-2: Your organisation’s policies and procedures
Within the first week or two you need to consider going through your organisations policies and procedures. Developing policies and procedure guidelines will help ensure that everyone within your organisation works to the same rules. Here are a few examples that you might need to consider, depending on the role of your volunteers and who they will be working with:
- Health and Safety guidelines – including any relevant risk assessments that need to be considered
- Equality and diversity
- Data protection and confidentiality
- Emergency and fire awareness
- Safeguarding – this could be either children and young people or adults at risk
- Support and supervision
This list isn’t conclusive but should give you some food for thought on what you should consider when developing a volunteer induction programme.
Why not consider putting together a volunteer handbook which contains all the information your volunteers need, you could set weekly goals for them to work through and their manager can meet with them to answer any queries they may have.
* Reference: www.ncvo.org.uk